Single-port laparoscopy is a step forward toward nearly scar less surgery. (SILS) is technically more challenging from conventional laparoscopy, because of the lack of triangulation and the clashing of instruments. Robotic single-incision laparoscopic surgery (RSILS) in chopstick setting might overcome these problems.
The robot with its technological advantages, such as 3d, stable, high-definition camera, wristed instruments, tremor filtration and better ergonomics, can transform single-port surgery and allow us to complete complex procedures that wouldn’t be possible otherwise to be completed in a minimally invasive manner.
The advantages of robotic SILS surgery include:
• Only one small incision. An incision that is the about the size of a pencil eraser reduces scarring, recovery time, blood loss and risk of infection.
• Better visibility. Using a high definition, 3-D camera provides the surgeon with better visibility than laparoscopic minimally invasive surgery.
• Increased precision. The wristed robotic arms have a greater range of motion than a human hand. This allows the surgeon to maneuver instruments in ways that deliver the best surgical results.
• Less postoperative pain, due to less trauma tissue
• Les length of hospital stay